Thursday, April 9, 2009

Thing #7b

I've been waiting to share this blog with you! As a principal, I hear so often that learning isn't fun anymore and that we are drilling and killing our kids to death. I always feel the urgency to try to defend drilling to some degree. Why is that? Is it because it worked for me? Is it because it's a lesson I learned in sports? This blog entry is a thought provoking argument for drilling students! I guess that sometimes those of us that grew up under the influence of coaches and sports teams tend to view the world in a different light. I thought this blog entry about Pete Maravich summed up what I'm sometimes afraid to say for fear of being hit with blunt objects by my friends!
(Friends - remember that blogging is a place to post OPINIONS). I'm just thinking in type! :-) Feel free to disagree. I'm sure many of you will! I hope we can still be cyberfriends!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the story of Pistol Pete, and I agree wholeheartedly with the importance of drill...in sports, for rote memorization of facts, for those tasks that are multi-step and require lots of practice (like long division.) Last night, though, at my daughter's volleyball practice I chatted with a grandmother who is very active in helping to raise her young grandchildren. Her 3rd grade grandson has 2 HOURS of TAKS PRACTICE EVERY NIGHT. As the BFG would say, "That's ridunculous." How did we get there with a 9 year old boy who really needs to be out running around getting sweaty?

    ReplyDelete