Sunday, March 1, 2009

Thing #10

Creative Commons! What a really neat idea! It seems so "anti -current-culture". You know what I mean? Everyone is out to create something that is theirs to make money and yet it seems to be a whole world of people willing to share? Is that really possible?

The possibilities of this "willingness to share" seem so exciting and such a relief! Now don't tell my mom, but I'm not a huge fan of copyright and often turn my head the other way when copyright issues come about! I understand the need, but it is so constricting! It really gets in the way of school so often! I won't do anything blatantly against copyright, but I don't always check into the "C" of something before using it!

I've never noticed a "cc" on any document, or maybe I have and turned the other way not knowing that I didn't have to! I'll certainly start keeping my eye out for it, now! Move on over Mr. Big C, I've got a new best friend!!

-S-T-R-E-T-C-H- -M-E-
I visited the OER website which I learned was the Open Educational Resources Site. I was looking for some "motivating video" to show my students before TAKS about believing in themselves, and all that other good stuff. While I didn't find anything fitting that specific content, I kept following all these links to great lessons! What fun! The Ooblek lesson was there along with other old faithfuls as well as lots of new ones! I wonder if our curriculum departments have spent anytime here? What a great resource!

2 comments:

  1. Whaaaaaaat? You're not the copyright police? I'm so glad I tuned in to this particular blog entry, lady! I'll be keeping my ever vigilant Marian-the-Librarian's eye on YOU! Better yet, I'll get my friend the Boxtop Queen on to this! ha ha!

    Seriously, I agree with you, the Creative Commons licensing is a whole new paradigm in the land of copyright! But teachers have been sharing with each other for years--somebody just took this spirit and attached a name to it.
    See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, at least one curriculum department has gone to this site on your recommendation.Thanks for the tip. I promise I'll look into it for some interesting new lessons... We are always trying to improve our curriculum!

    ReplyDelete