Sunday, March 22, 2009

Thing 16

This is a pretty neat website. While I do not classify myself as a "reader", I'm trying to work on that! I took the challenge from some dear friends to actually read one whole novel, front to back, in it's entirety this summer! I did it! Woohoo! Not only did I read one, I read 7 novels all by the same author. I've put those books in my LibraryThing library. You can view them to see what you think! In addition, I read the eighth novel this past November while second honeymooning in Cancun. My husband was a little frustrated because all I wanted to do was go to the beach, lay in the sun and read this eighth novel!
As for classroom applications, I can see endless possibilities - especially if you can hook your students into the love of reading. While younger grades probably couldn't build great libraries right away - imagine the power if they kept their accounts over several school years! What a great "scrapbook" of learning. The teacher could have students form groups, make comments, summaries, character analysis all on this one site! Pretty cool. Maybe when I become a reader, I can fill up my library! :-)

3 comments:

  1. While you might not classify yourself as a "reader," I would! Reading doesn't have to mean novels. Newspapers, magazines, non-fiction, blogs, web sites, cereal boxes, etc. are all valid reading material! If you read those or anything else, you are a reader!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mary, I will have to let my friend KKB read your post! Ask her what she said to me about reading! She was so mean! :-) Just kidding - it was all in fun - But I'm glad to know that YOU classify me as a reader - it would make my mom proud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did such a great job last summer in being a "reader". What happens once the year starts? Hum, I wonder? I am very impressed with your blog page. You rock. I wish I had the technological brain that you have to get all this stuff straight.

    ReplyDelete