Thursday, January 29, 2009

Thing #5

OMG!!! As my high school teacher sister would text me! Whoever thought of this RSS reader thing is so awesome. I had already "followed" or subscribed to several people's blogs in our class and was already getting FRUSTRATED at how many clicks it took to get from kbb to vikingman to theroylemansblog! This is an amazing piece of technology that could be very addicting, especially when I have the opportunity to go out there and surf for something that I am interested in reading about. However, that scares me a little - can other people see what I enjoy reading on my RSS? You might see a whole lot more of the "non-educational" things than you might like! I would love to follow my Florida Gator Blogs and anti-Dallas Cowboy blogs more than some other "school" blogs - but I'll try to diversify myself for the sake of learning in our class! :-)

Now, as for the reflection. One of the blogs that we were required to view was the Infinite Thinking Machine. On of the entries talked about a company called Brightstorm. This company makes videos to help teachers brush up on their own skills for teaching some subjects like Geometry, Writing, Alegebra II and many SAT preparation courses. I thought how incredibly cool this would be if we had this same type of technology available for our new teachers! Wouldn't it be amazing if they were wondering how to teach rational numbers to a group of fifth graders, at an age appropriate level, they could just click and there would be some video showing them what to say, how to say it, good examples and so on... Wow! I can see where this type of "digital teaching" could impact classrooms everywhere!

This RSS things is gonna be fun!!

2 comments:

  1. I agree, it would be awesome to see how other schools are teaching a tough subject. I'd love to be able to go to a place and find out how Mrs. Awesome Teacher gets her students to get their Earth Science concepts down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While you can choose to share what you are reading in your reader, you don't have to. No one will know what blogs you follow. I have to admit that I have a few (ok - a lot!) personal faves that are sprinkled in among the professional ones that I read!

    ReplyDelete