Sunday, April 5, 2009

Thing #17

PodCasting - I learned alot and even found some of my misunderstandings to be straightened out. I don't have an Ipod, so I just assumed that podcasting was something that I really could not do. While I found out that I could do podcasting without an Ipod, I don't really like the idea of being tied to my computer for hours on end listening to the various downloads. Maybe for Mother's Day - hmmm.... Okay so to address your questions:
  • Which podcasts did you preview? I had been following a blog feed for Practical Prinicipals and noticed they had a weekly podcast, I decided to subscribe to it through Itunes to see what podcasting was all about.
  • What did you think? I was surprised at how much the podcast was really just a conversation or discussion between the presenters. I guess I still had the old school idea of "shows" as being scripted or prepared ahead of time, maybe some of them are, but the several that I found were more like discussions - but they were useful and had some interesting and thought provoking discussions.
  • Which directories did you search and were you able to find podcasts of value? I used Itunes and found several of the same podcasts that were suggested for us. I'll keep looking.
  • Do you have any ideas about incorporating existing podcasts into your classroom or professional learning? Of course, I don't know how to make a podcast yet, I'm sure that I'll learn in a thing or two, but seeing how students can use this in their learning excites me. I envision that students could reflect on their learning, "teach" others what they've learned, participate in active discussions, the possibilities are endless. I'm pretty sure that one of my teachers has students creating podcasts, but I haven't actually watched them in action! I'll have to ask him where to find them out there in the great big www!

2 comments:

  1. Okay, it is time to get an IPOD. Once you have one, you'll wonder why it took so long. You will have fun finding songs on ITunes that you like (not Beatles). You can always listen to your music and not be subject to the radio by using a cable that plugs your IPOD into the car stereo. You can even find songs for M and M to load on the IPOD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! I have had my IPod for a couple of years. I bought it on a whim and I never even turn the radio on anymore. What could be better than listening to what you want to all the time...and without commercials!I have ITunes on my computer at work and load my CDs and then listen to ITunes during stressful times here. My boss (CR) tells me she uses her IPod and IPhone all the time to listen to podcasts from NPR. I haven't tried that yet but hope to real soon. Been missing talking to you...

    ReplyDelete